Sunday, September 17, 2023

Terrain on a Budget - Mushroom Forest

 Welcome Fellow Grognards and Young Guard!


Post 52 brings us something a little different!  Walking through Hobby Lobby with my daughter, I was on the hunt for anything that could be converted into anything for wargaming, particularly if it is on sale.  My daughter, knowing her father well, spotted something in the Fall section and quickly yelled out, "Dad, you need 'shrooms'!"

I turned to see just what the heck she was talking about and there on the shelf were these little bags of foam mushrooms, in brown caps or multi-color caps (orange/ yellow/ red).  

My mind began to churn and I envisioned a forest of mushrooms on the table top!  I'm sure I saw this on a Dungeons and Dragons cartoon episode (btw...Today is the anniversary of the Dungeons and Dragons Cartoon Premiere as well as the Battlestar Galactica 1978 Premiere).

I quickly remembered seeing wood circle and ovals on sale as well and picked up a bunch for bases.  Everything else on the workbench quickly was shoved to the back burner and off I went!

To give these some variety, I cut the mushroom stems to varying heights, before gluing them to the wooden bases.  The undersides and the dots on the tops were painted on and the mushrooms stems painted in 'mushroom' color.  

Some hot glue and a good hot blue burn on my finger later, you see the product below!  I can't wait to use these in a skirmish game!  The whole project yielded 8 bases of 4 and 8 bases of 3.  Now I just need a Cheshire Cat!

Hope you enjoy!














PAINTED MINIATURES SCOREBOARD:

2021 Painted Miniatures: 169

2022 Painted Miniatures: 214

2023 Painted Miniatures: 306



No comments:

Post a Comment