Sunday, August 20, 2023

Fantasy Terrain - Mushrooms!

 Welcome fellow Grognards and New Guard!


Well, I went a little off game plan.  I ended up taking on an unscheduled project.  This time it was some opportunity terrain.

Recently, my daughter and I were walking around Hobby Lobby (a national craft chain store in the USA), when my daughter said, "hey Dad, you need some shrooms!"  Completely caught off guard, I turned, ready to have another kind of discussion with my daughter, when she laughed and pointed to the Fall decorations on and a pile of mesh bags filled with foam mushrooms.  

These things are bagged either all brown capped or in mixed bags of orange/ yellow/ red.  Of course, they were also 40% off (which means Hobby Lobby was still making 200% profit).  I saw them and the lightbulb went on.  I love my daughter.  She knows her father well and apologized for the unscheduled project she had now launched me into.  LOL.

We then wandered back to the wood craft section, where also 40% off, were the wood shape cutouts.  I picked up some wooden ovals and some circles for bases.  The plan was set in motion...

Nuts and bolts, I cut the Styrofoam stem lengths to various heights, alternating colors.  A little hot glue (and a nice hot glue burn on one of my pinky fingers) and these were fixed on the wooden bases; 4 mushrooms to each oval base, 3 mushrooms to each circle base.

Each mushrooms bases was coated in, oddly enough, a paint color called "mushroom".  Worked for me.  A second coat was applied to the stems only.  I then added some accent lines to the underside of each mushroom to replicate the "things" you see on the bottom of mushrooms.  The stems and mushrooms undersides were washed in a black wash.

Next I painted white dots on the tops in varying patterns, to give more of a fantastical vision.  Once dry, I brushed on a matte coat on the mushrooms caps tops to protect the white paint.

Using my standard acrylic textured and colored medium, I loaded up the bases.  I added rocks, and small stone work and grass to each base.

I was able to make 8 oval 4-mushroom stands and 8 circle 3-mushroom stands from what I purchased.

Should make a great Dragon Rampant battle field or one for Fistful of Lead - Might and Melee or Core Rules use.

Hope you enjoy!


Bagged Mushrooms

3-Mushroom Stand

4-Mushroom Stand













Next up...the Arachnid Army! (Really...)


Until next time, watch out for the Cheshire Cat, and GAME ON!



PAINTED MINIATURES SCOREBOARD:

2021 Painted Miniatures: 169

2022 Painted Miniatures: 214

2023 Painted Miniatures: 136







No comments:

Post a Comment