Greeting fellow Grognards and New Guard!
Today's project post is about something I have been wanting to do for a LOOOONG TIME!
I've always envied the formal MDF basing on terrain and always made plans to do it for these Warhammer 40K 2nd Ed structures as well as the Necromunda terrain from the original box set and Outlanders supplement.
After many moons of having these, I finally got to basing them. I did build the Imperial Guard Tower from an unpunched set I have had for many moons (only to find out later it is being sold for $300-400 on eBay in that condition...sh*t happens...).
Using a quarter sheet of mdf board purchased at the local DIY store, I began tracing out the base shapes for each structure. I did this to allow for cardstock bridges to be connected from other structures as needed.
Next some safe jigsaw work and some Dremel sanding on the edges to smooth them out and round them off.
After that, I spray painted each base black and let them dry. After drying, came attaching each structure to its base with hot glue
After the hot glue jar cooled and set, I used the white fluffy drywall patch compound to create 'earth' effects between the walls and the base, giving it a natural transition. The fluff also was used to smear lightly on the flat areas on the base.
Going to my standard baring method, I mixed Burnt Umber (think 'happy little trees'...iykyk) and the medium texture paint medium to create my paint on texture on the white fluff and the entire base surface.
Next, once the bases were dry, I used Khaki paint to dry brush on the base paint as well as on the metal bulkheads (they were already based in black and dry brushed in metallic when I built them years ago) to give everything that dusty look.
Now I have a full table of useful sci-fi terrain. There are still kits I would love to add to my collection, but might be cost probative.
Gorkamorka Fort
Imperial Bastion
Imperial Firebase
Imperial Bunker
Below are some pics of my finished terrain.
Well, hope you enjoy! I'm almost ready to start painting minis again. Hope to have some for you soon!
Until then...GAME ON!
PAINTED MINIATURES SCOREBOARD:
2021 Painted Miniatures: 169
2022 Painted Miniatures: 214
2023 Painted Miniatures: 544
2024 Painted Miniatures: 174
2025 Painted Miniatures: 103
2026 Painted Miniatures: 19





No comments:
Post a Comment